Monday, November 12, 2007

Blessings at 35,000 Feet

I am writing this from seat 28F on a 737 zipping through the airspace between Cincinnati and Boston. It is a beautiful day at 35,000 feet. Of course I expected to be traveling this route last night instead of this morning. We (my traveling companions and I) enjoyed a stay a the Marriot last night, complements of Delta Airlines.

Air travel helps me practice letting go of the illusion of control. It is almost always an adventure. I have no control over when a flight leaves, a computer crashes, or air traffic backs up. I can’t guarantee my arrival or departure time.

But I continue to learn from my traveling companions how to practice graciousness and friendliness. I’m learning to find a kind word for those who are serving me and my traveling needs. (Amazing how far a kind word can go.)

This morning I realize what I have that so many do not. I had a place to sleep last night, a meal (even if a 10:30 supper is not a normal part of my schedule) and knowledge that I would eventually get home. While Delta provided some of those things, if push came to shove, I could have provided them for myself. How many people do not know where they will sleep each night, or when they will get another meal? I am truly blessed.

There is a little ditty which goes; Count your blessing, count them one by one, Count your blessings, see what God has done…

When I remember to count my blessings, I cultivate gratitude in my heart. Gratitude for the blessings in my life and the One who blesses me.

Gratitude leads me to compassion for others who are not as blessed. Compassion leads me to acts of mercy. All lead me to God.

So here I am, 35,000 feet above the ground, saying thanks to my Maker for the blessings of this day.

I pray you find blessings in your day.

Mike

No comments: